1. The name of the Club is The Hurst Johnian Club and it shall consist of old pupils of Hurstpierpoint College and the Members of the Common Room for the time being together with such Honorary Members as shall be elected under Rule 3.
2. The objects of the Club are to keep up the association of Hurst Johnians, to provide amenities and facilities for them and generally to further the interests of Hurstpierpoint College and its past and present members in the United Kingdom and abroad.
3. Membership shall be open to all old pupils of Hurstpierpoint College who have paid the initial subscription to be determined by the Committee. The Committee of the Club shall have the power to elect as Honorary Members of the Club, such persons as it may from time to time, in its absolute discretion, think fit. The Committee of the Club shall have the power to terminate the membership of any Member of the Club at any time for reasons which shall be communicated in writing to that member. Any Member whose membership has been terminated shall have the right to appeal to the Members of the Club at the next Annual General Meeting following such termination, and the decision of the majority of the Members present and voting on the issue shall be final and binding. The Committee shall have the power to suspend membership for such a period as it shall in its discretion think fit. The Members of the Club by majority vote in general meeting may either cancel a suspension made by the Committee or restore a membership terminated either by the Committee or on appeal by the Members of the Club in general meeting. Members of the Club shall be entitled to wear the Club’s colours, and to receive notification of, and participation in, all the activities of the Club.
4. The Members of the Club shall endeavour to dine together at least once a year on a day and at place to be fixed by the Committee which will be notified in writing to all members.
5. The Club shall hold an Annual General Meeting, of which not less than twenty-one days notice shall be given, on St Etheldreda’s Day at Hurstpierpoint College (or at such other times and places as the Committee may determine). The business of the Annual General Meeting shall be to approve the audited accounts for the preceding year, to elect Officers and Auditor (and to determine remuneration (if any) of such Auditor) and members of the Committee and to discuss any other relevant business.
6. The Secretary shall summon a Special General Meeting, of which not less than twenty-one days notice shall be given, at any time if empowered by the Committee to do so, or on the written request of not less than ten Members. The quorum for a Meeting of Members shall be fifteen. Voting will be by show of hands, unless the Committee in its absolute discretion have directed that voting upon a particular issue shall be ballot; in which case, suitable forms of proxy will be sent out with the notice convening the Meeting. The President or his delegate shall chair the Meetings of the Members and in the case of any equality of vote shall have a second or casting vote.
7. The Officers of the Club shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
8. The affairs of the Club shall be conducted by a Committee consisting of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and a maximum of not less than seven and no more than fifteen Members of whom one shall be a Member of the Common Room, all of whom shall be elected annually. The Committee shall have the power to co-opt members between Annual General Meetings and to fill any casual vacancy of the membership of the Committee. Five shall form a quorum and decisions shall be taken by voting on a show of hands. The President or his delegate shall chair the meetings of the Committee and in the case of any equality of vote shall have a second of casting vote. The Committee shall have power to deal with any matter for which provision has not been made in these rules and the members of the Committee shall be entitled to be indemnified from the assets of the Club in respect of any liability incurred by them acting bona fide and properly on behalf of the Club in the normal course of their duties.
9. Each Member shall pay a subscription as shall be determined from time to time by the Committee. The funds of the Club shall be applied for the purposes of the Club in such a manner and at such time or times as the Committee may in its absolute discretion think fit. Without prejudice to the foregoing, the Committee may hand over the whole or such part of its funds to a nominee Company for investment on the Club’s behalf as it may in its absolute discretion think fit.
10. Any alteration to these Rules may only be made by simple majority of those present at an Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting of the Association, due notice having been given.
11. In the event of a dissolution of the Club or a discontinuance of its activities, any surplus funds after meeting the liabilities of the Club shall be paid to Hurstpierpoint College or to such organisation which the Committee shall consider has similar objectives to those of the Club.