Headmaster 1924 – 1937
The Revd H. B. Tower, Headmaster of Hurstpierpoint College from 1924 to 1937, died on 21 June 1964. He was 81.
Henry Bernard Tower, the son of the Revd C. M. A. Tower, was born in 1882 and educated at Marlborough, St. Catherine’s College, Cambridge and Ely Theological College. He was ordained in 1905 and from that year until 1910 he was curate of Berwick on Tweed. In 1910/11 he was senior curate of Benwell. He then spent three years at King’s School, Worcester as lower XIth form master and minor canon of Worcester Cathedral. From 1914 to 1916 he was domestic chaplain to the first bishop of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich, Henry Bernard Hodgson, whose daughter Stella he married. Tower was appointed Headmaster of the Junior School and Second Master of King’s School, Canterbury in 1916. In 1919 he became Headmaster of Churcher’s College, Petersfield and in 1924 he was appointed headmaster of Hurstpierpoint College.
During his 14 years at Hurst he did much to improve the fabric of the school: temporary classrooms in 1926 (these remained until the present classrooms were built in 1958} to enable boys to have the rooms formerly used as class rooms as House Rooms for recreation and leisure. Other improvements included the completion of Star House changing rooms, the building of a new servants’ wing and the installation of electric light. Later came the completion of the Chapel Tower – declared open by the late Duke of Kent who visited Hurst in 1930 and attended the St. Etheldreda service; the building of the Norman Cloister; completion of the Chapel panelling; and the building of vestries. In the Dining Hall the Coombes Gallery was constructed.
Mr. Tower’s headmastership saw many changes in school activities – the winter game was changed from Soccer to Rugger and Hockey was played in the Spring term. Another important innovation was the Junior School started in 1933.
After retiring from Hurstpierpoint, Mr. Tower was appeal secretary for the London Diocesan Fund and Organising Director of the Friends of the Diocese of London. Later he became rector of Much Hadham, Hertfordshire and from 1951 to 1955 was vicar of Swinbrook and Widford. For 12 years, from 1949-1961 he was Director of Studies, Church of England Board of Study Centre.
A Memorial Service was held in St Paul’s Cathedral on 25 July with an address by the Bishop of London. Both Mrs.Tower and their daughter were at the service at which the OJ Club was represented by G. P. Waite
[From the Times]
7 July 2010